Wednesday, June 29, 2011

London Alive Details

Here’s the details on the two walks I will be doing Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  Sunday morning there is an option for St. Paul’s but I decided not to do that one.  I’ve been to St. Paul’s and if I went with the group I wouldn’t get a Sunday afternoon walk.  I may go to Westminster, the main service is at 11, and there’s an evening service at 6:30.  So depending on the timeframe for the walk I will try to get to at least one service.  I may go by myself to St. Paul’s some other time.

Walk Name: The Nazi Blitz and London at War: The Imperial War Museum
Walk Date: Jul 02, 2011
Instructor: Dr. Douglas Mackaman / History
Description: Professor Doug Mackaman invites you to a walking lecture on the horrors Londoners endured during the blitz of 1940 and 1941. As you explore how London was destroyed be Nazi bombers, you will also learn about the “stiff-upper lip” survival of Londoners during this darkest hour of the city’s history. The afternoon will also feature a visit to The Imperial War Museum, arguably the greatest museum of military history in the world.

Walk Name: Londinium to the Millennium…
Walk Date: Jul 03, 2011
Instructor: Miranda Grieder/Visiting Professor / Architectural Engineering Technology
Description: How best to get acquainted with London than to know the story of her origins? After a visit to the Museum of London to learn about Roman Londinium, we’ll trace 2000 years of demolition, construction, and reconstruction in a treasure hunt for historical clues. Through what was once Londinium’s busy city center, we’ll stroll through the modern skyscrapers of the financial district, to find ourselves at the gate of the Tower of London. We’ll discover what is built on top of the Roman amphitheater, Mithras Temple, the Basilica, and the Forum. No trowels or brushes required, just good walking shoes!

Both walks seem really interesting, and I can't wait to learn more about London.  In 24 hours I'll be boarding in JFK!  It's almost time to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment